“Tips for stretching post workout:
- Let the heart rate slow down and the breathing return to normal. This will allow you to stay focused mentally on the yoga.
- Find a slow breathing pattern in and out through the nose. The inhale and exhale should be even in length.
- If something is painful, back off and move on.
- Move into each stretch slowly. Once you are in the stretch, allow yourself to breathe there for at least 30 seconds, if not more.
Stretch A. Start by sitting on your shins and bringing the tops of the hands onto the ground. Your wrists should be under the shoulders and fingertips pointing in. Then, slowly straighten the elbows. Bring the finger-tips closer together if this is too much or wider to deepen the stretch. Spend 30 seconds in this stretch and then gently release.
2. Thread the Needle or Parsva Balasana
- Upper Trapezius
- Levator Scapulae
- Back of Neck
- Spinal Erectors
Start in a table top position with the shoulders stacked over wrists and the hips over the knees. Extend your left arm out to the left and, on your exhale, thread your left arm through over to the left. Bring the left shoulder to the ground. Walk the right hand over to the right, and on your exhale, press through the right palm and open the chest towards the ceiling. Lengthen the right side of the torso while you twist the spine.